Hello Again Friends ~~ I hope that your week is going well for you.
All OK here and the day here was a little warmer. Thank you for
the comments that have been left on my blog.
Can you believe that Kenju has had 50,000 people visit her blog.
Heartiest congratulations Judy. That is an amazing feat, Why
don’t you pop over and wish her well ?
<><><> Let’s Take a Look Back 100 Tears Ago. <><><>
<><>Here are some U.S. statistics for 1904. <><>
- The average life expectancy in the U,S. was 47 years.
- Only 14 % of homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.
- Only 8% of the homes had a telephone.
- A 3 minute call from Denver to New York cost 11 dollars.
- There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of
- paved roads. Most cities had a speed limit of 10 mph.
- The average wage in the US was 22 cents an hour.
- The average US worker made between $200 & $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 a year,
- A dentist $2500 a year, a veterinarian between $1500 and
- $4000 a year and a mechanical engineer up to $5000 a yr.
- More than 95 % of all births in the US took place at home.
- Sugar cost 4 cents a pound. Eggs were 14 cents a dozen,
- coffee was 15 cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used
- borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering
- the country for any reason.
- The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico
- Hawaii and Alaska had not been admitted to the Union yet.
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea had not been
- invented yet.
- Two out of 10 US adults could not read or write. Only 6% of
- Americans had graduated high school.
- There was no Mother’s Day or Father’s Day.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter
- at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, “Heroin
- clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is in fact, a perfect guardian of health.”
- Eighteen % of households in the US had at least one full-time
- servant or domestic.
- There were only about 230 reported murders in th entire US.
Try to imagine what it will be like in another 100 years.
<><><><> Interesting ??
<><><> Now it is time for a joke or two. <><><>
A man took his wife to the rodeo and one of their first stops was the breeding bull exhibit. They went up to the first pen and there was a sign attached that said, "This bull mated 50 times last year." The wife playfully nudged her husband in the ribs and said, "See he mated 50 times last year ... once-a-week." They walked to the second pen which had a sign attachedthat said, "This bull mated 120 times last year." The wife gave her husband a healthy jab and said, "That's more than twice a week! You could learn a lot from him." They walked to the third pen and it had a sign attached that said, in capital letters, "This bull mated 365 times last year." The wife, so excited that her elbow nearly broke her husband's ribs, said, that's once-a-DAY. You could REALLY learn something from this one." The husband looked at her and said, "Go over and ask him if it was with the same old cow." NOTE: The husband's condition has been upgraded from critical to stable and the doctors say after months of rehab and a couple more surgeries he will likely be okay.
<><><> Some Funny Signs. <><><>
Sign on Electricians truck ---- Let us remove your shorts.
Maternity Clothes shop – We are open on Labor day.
Maternity Room Door ---Push, Push, Push
Non smoking area – If we see you smoking we will assume you are on
fire and will take appropriate action.
Scientist Door --- Gone Fission.
Taxidermist Window – We really know our stuff.
Podiatrist’s Window – Time wounds all heels.
Car Dealership – The best way to get back on your feet- miss a car payment.
Butcher’s Window – Pleased to meat you.
Garbage Truck – We’ve got what it takes to take what you’ve got.
Bowling Alley – Please be quiet. We need to hear a pin drop.
Music Library -- Bach in a minuet.
Funeral Home – Drive carefully, we’ll wait.
<><><> That’s it for this post. I’ll be back !!! <><><>